Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Last Pickins?

Life has been busy so the walking, gardening and blogging haven't gotten much attention lately. Yet old man Winter forced me out to the Perkins garden for the second time this week. While it's still uncertain, it looks like we might see our first killing frost this week.

The more certain thing in the forecast is snow. It's amazing how such a natural, annual phenomenon can get so many people buzzing. What I find even more amazing is the amount of people that talk about the impending white stuff with dread in their voices.

Let's face it folks, snow will be in the forecast in these parts for the next six months. Better get used to it (or move to Florida).

But back to the garden.

I was a bit saddened to take what could be a final look at the faded zinnias, the same ones that seemed to be seedlings just yesterday.

I clipped a dozen habanero peppers, a few chilies and premature sweet peppers, and picked up a few of the reddish tomatoes that had dropped from the vine since Sunday.

Then, dare I admit, with the threat of a tear welling up in the corner of my eye, I turned away from the Perkins plot and walked back through the mist to my Jeep.

Summer has truly come and gone. And while winter brings all kinds of good things with it, I will miss waiting for the next thing to sprout, bloom, or ripen in the garden.

No comments: