Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bulbascious!

The mild start to winter allowed plants with bulbs to feed heavy late into the season last year, so tulips and other bulb plants are coming in very nicely this spring. The rain at the end of last week, combined with the warm temps this week have my early species tulips blooming nicely.

It will be a few more weeks before hybrid tulips are blooming in these parts. While hybrids are elegant and beautiful, the early and unique blooms of species tulips are attractive to me. The tulips in the picture even beat the daffodils to the punch.

Another happy bulb in the garden has been these garlic sprouts. I've planted garlic in the past with not-so-good results, but it looks like I have now found a good bulb that works in my garden. We'll have to see how these eager sprouts do as the season warms.

No comments: