Saturday, August 19, 2006

Corn

It's been a dry August so far. Knowing the corn would soon be ripe, I began watering the corn every other day last Sunday in an effort to get the kernel size up.

I picked the first ears tonight, and the effort seems to have paid off. In most of the ears, the kernels were big and juicy, although a little more starchy than I had hoped. I'm not sure if I waited a few days too long to pick, or if it's just the variety of seed I used.

The corn is not the only plant happy for the water. The zinnias are doing exceptionally well this summer with plenty of long-lasting blooms and very little mildew to date.

I did learn by observing my neighbor's zinnias that I may have been able to get larger blooms had I spaced the plants a little further apart. I guess I'll be a little more brutal when I thin seedlings next year.


The dry August also has the pumpkin and squash vines turning yellow and drying up. We already have some small, orange pumpkins, but we also have a few other bigger ones still growing on the vine. It's getting easier to count the squash, including these two young acorns that have a few more months to go.






2 comments:

Bob said...

MMMMMMMMM! The corn looks good. Similar to the white corn that we had back in June when it first showed up at the farm stands. Ours was nice and tender, sweet & tasty.

Anonymous said...

Wow this is really a beautyfull post. I just started using newshutch as an online rss reader and it laid your blog format entry out perfect so it wasn't stretched so long and the colors and the text just flowed. I think its the corn against the background it just pops!