Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Thinking About the Hills


I've been thinking about the hills a lot lately. In particular, I've been thinking of the mountains in New England.

Two thoughts have been running through my mind. The first is a growing obsession with doing a one-day Presidential Traverse. The Presidential Traverse does not have a formal route, but typically includes tagging the summits of a half dozen or so of the high peaks. The traverse I am considering is 23 miles long and includes 9,050 feet of elevation gain. Once on the ridge, most of the hiking is across loose talus on an exposed ridge that includes Mount Washington, the highest peak in New England.

Now I just need to find a partner or two and make arrangements to be in New Hampshire in late June when the days are long. And I suppose I need to re-start my running routine that has slacked off this summer.

The second growing obsession is with winter peak bagging. A few weeks back, I sharpened my crampons. This morning I saw my boots sitting there patiently in the corner of the closet. The cool evening air tonight has me thinking about snow and winter wind.

I wonder what peaks should be on the list for this year. I wonder what other likeminded souls I might be able to talk into climbing a few mountains in winter.

Anyone feel like going climbing... or on a long summer walk?

No comments: