Sunday, September 17, 2006

Harvest

August kept us busy with corn and tomatoes. We've probably canned about two dozen quarts of tomatoes by now and had our fair share of corn on the cob--all you can eat three nights a week for almost a month. Not to mention the beans!

Then came labor day and Wheatland, so we haven't been picking or eating as much out of the garden with all the other goings on.

So yesterday was my first time back to Perkins in more than a week. We were canning more tomatoes, so I figured I would pick what's there...close to another half bushel! While I was there, I picked the two remaining orange pumpkins, bringing this year's total up to eleven. No real big ones, but Julie made some tasty pumpkin soup out of one picked earlier. And there's still three or four coming along.

I also picked five butternut squash, seventeen acorns, and eighteen butterbush. Needless to say, we'll be sharing a few of those.

Since the deer pruned the peppers over the fourth of July, we'll be having a late September crop of those, and they're coming in really heavy. If you have any recipes that would be good for mild aji amarillo chiles, let me know. I probably have close to 100, as they're prolific little plants.

1 comment:

julie said...

Yes, please send us your pepper recipes!