Saturday, January 13, 2007

Run

One of the things I think I like best about the winter months is the slower pace of weekends, particularly Saturdays. In the spring, there is tons of trail work and gardening to do. When summer hits, the gardening is still heavy through the end of July, and home repairs need doing. Summer is also a good time to get the cars in tip-top shape. Then fall brings more trail work and getting things buttoned up for winter.

With our unusually mild winter, Saturdays have been good for getting in long urban hikes and some trail running. Today I was able to get out to the North Country Trail in the Lowell State Game Area for a nice six mile run.

Before and after I walked a little more than a half mile for warm-up and cool-down. All together, I travelled a little more than seven miles of trail and I didn't see a soul the whole time. The woods were peaceful, with a few chattering birds to keep me company (chickadees, juncos and blue jays).

The NCT in Lowell is a nice run. Most of the trail has good footing, and there are a few short but steep hills to build up a little leg muscle (and keep Siler from day dreaming too much). I've seen other runners out there when hiking in the past, so it appears I'm not the only one who likes to run there.

A nice PDF map of the Lowell NCTA can be downloaded here.

No comments: