Friday, February 23, 2007

A Little About My Work

On Monday, I gave a presentation at Calvin College that I was asked to make regarding childhood lead poisoning and environmental justice. The notice on the campus calendar resulted in a query from Kirstin Vander Giessen-Reitsma for a submission to Catapult Magazine. Catapult is a pretty cool netzine for recovering Calvinists and others interested in culture, faith and community.

In response to her query, and since I had already collected my thoughts for the presentation, I provided this article.

By way of a little background, here's a map that shows where the kids who have lead poisoning in Grand Rapids live. Those of you familiar with our fair city will see the clear link between income, race, ethnicity and lead. Click the map for a larger version.

For more data and maps, download this PDF (5.6 MB) from my work website.

No comments: