Sunday, May 13, 2007

Time to Eat

The garden at home is in full swing with early crops. The lettuce is just beautiful this year.

Earlier this week, we picked our first lettuce and some early chard. Tomorrow we will also be picking spinach (middle of this picture below, taken two days ago), and the broccoli raab is not far behind.

I have been having a slight problem with some invisible, nocturnal pest. It seems like this pest is most fond of seedlings before their true leaves sprout, so often the plants recover. But he or she seems to also really like broccoli raab and kale that is larger. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem very fond of lettuce or spinach.

I set out slug traps, but they only proved to be a waste of perfectly good beer.

After posting this, I'll be going out to the garden to take another look for the culprit. I'll let you know if I find anything.

No comments: