Monday, July 17, 2006

Beans

One thing the hot weather does for sure is grow beans. And one thing the soil at Perkins does is grow sweet beans.

When I was weeding yesterday, I picked off one good size bean and snacked on it. My goodness! Was it sweet!

At breakfast this morning, I suggested to Julie that we should have green beans for dinner tonight. The plan was that I'd stop at Perkins on my way home and we'd get them in the pot before too many of the sugars turn to starch.

As it turned out, Julie's mother invited us over for dinner. So we brought a basket of green beans and a bouquet of zinnias. The beans never made it into a pot of water. Julie and her mom tasted a few raw and the decision was to serve them up raw.

Simple, modest green beans. I planted them because I had the extra space, and I'm delighted that I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a child we would pick a laundry basket of beans in the morning, then the afternoon was spent cleaning the beans, while my mom canned them for the winter. I always ate so many raw beans that I got sick. There is nothing better than raw green beans!