Monday, July 10, 2006

Peas and Deer

Abbey helped me clean out the old peas in the garden tonight. As we plucked out the tired, old vines, we found a couple of old pods worth opening up. We popped the peas inside into a bowl, and Abbey popped them into her mouth.

The peas and Elmo kept her busy while I seeded some pole beans, fall lettuce and some more basil.

We also stopped by the Perkins plot. It's a cool evening and the moon will almost be full tonight, so I can’t help but think the deer will be back.

I've been doing some research on deer prevention and I've learned that fences must be 8' tall. Other strategies include double fences and even a single strand of wire 3-4 feet off the ground and 3-4 feet outside your main fence. I guess such things easily confuse deer.

I've also read the bit about hair clippings hanging in bags in the garden. While I might be a bit odd, that strategy is too far out for me.

I've also heard about soap. But I visited a friend with soap bars hanging from her fruit and ornamental trees—and she still had deer browsing every morning.

So I've employed the one remaining method about which I've read. I sprayed my plants with a mixture of one raw egg to one quart of water. I did this late last week and when I visited the plot on Sunday, it did indeed have a mild foul odor.

We shall see if it works.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Elec. fence works the best for us. Make a tab of masking tape, put peanut butter on it, and wrap a layer of aluminum foil over it. Place these about 5 ft. apart along the elec. fence. Deer have hollow hairs and when they rub up against the fence, it takes a lot of juice before they feel it. When they stick their nose or better yet their tongue to check out the peanut butter - ZAP! They get the message and develop a habit of eating somewhere else. Moral of the story - Don't tell your neighbors what you're doing.