Friday, June 23, 2006

A Budding Gardener?

Tonight is the first day of our first weekend without Mommy. Abigail and I are hanging out at home while Julie goes off to play with some friends. Julie will be gone tonight (Friday) through Sunday afternoon.

Now to see if we can make it without Mommy...or worse yet...without nursies!

To get our minds off of the fact that our house was missing a mommy, Abigail and I buzzed over to Perkins to kills some evening hours. It was quite a busy night out there with eight other gardeners doing their thing. One couple was fighting off the newly emerged Colorado potato beetles. Their daughter was weeding her beans on the plot next door. And another woman had brought her adolescent son out to the garden for the first time and he did a bang-up job of hoeing her tomatoes in no time.

Addiction to nursies aside, one should never underestimate the maturity of a two year old. I decided to quickly weed the tops of my dozen squash mounds. As I sat by the first mound, Abbey said "weeds!" I showed her what I was pulling and she dove right in.

"This is a miracle!" I thought. A gardener with a two year old that knows how to weed and wants to help?

To top it off, her fastidious personality makes her a great weeder. She's not content with picking off just the top of the weeds and grass. If there's a remnant behind, she has to yank it out by the roots.

Maybe next year we should get her her own 25' x 40' plot.

No comments: