Monday, June 12, 2006

Crummy Days Happen

When I got home from work tonight, I learned that Abbey still hadn't taken a nap. This came on top of the cold she had been nursing for the past few days. Monday turned out to be a pretty crummy day for Abbey.

Julie had to get to a meeting, so I gave it my best to cheer Abbey up. I offered a few suggestions like "do you want froggie?" "do you want a blankie?" and "do you want me to leave you alone?" Finally it dawned on me that there's one question that usually works with Abbey. "Want to go outside with Daddy to check on the garden?"

Bingo! Tears stopped and she offered me her arms.

Earlier in the day I noticed that the fava beans had started blooming, so we went outside to take a picture of Abbey by the fava beans and peas.

If you haven't ever grown favas, they're worth trying. They are rather easy to grow, are elegant plants, and few things compare to freshly picked fava beans sautéed in a little olive oil with garlic and served over crostini with chopped tomatoes. The flowers aren't too shabby either.

According to www.oceanmist.com, "Fava beans (Vicia faba), are actually a member of the pea family, and are one of the oldest known cultivated plants. Frequently dried, fava beans have been a part of cuisines all around the Mediterranean and the Chinese have eaten them for more than 5000 years. They've been found in some of the earliest known human settlements and are referred to in legends and lore throughout recorded history." I just happen to like the taste and think they're beautiful plants.


But back to Abbey's crummy day. It turns out that "checking on the garden" is good for what ails you. After posing for another picture by the lettuce and the carrots, Abbey was in much better spirits and ready to sit down at the dinner table with her mom and dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The garden and the Abbey both look beautiful!