Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pickin' and Grinnin'

It's not too often that we get sunny June days with highs only in the mid 60's and cool breezes out of the north, so I took advantage of the pleasant weather and a day off from work to chip away at the green carpet of crab grass at the Perkins garden.

As you can see in this first picture, I had already removed the sod from the squash patch and rows of corn, with a little additional progress by the pole beans. The tomatoes and peppers are still growing in the midst of a lawn, but today I decided to tackle the cutting bed (bottom of picture).

It's rather meditative work, getting down on one's hands and knees and focusing on a row of 1" seedlings to pull out the weeds. As I slowly backed down the row, I listened to the birds signing and thought of...well, absolutely nothing. Like I said, meditative.

This second picture shows an hour and a half's work. One row completely weeded, and another half done. I went back later in the evening to do another row and half, so just have another two hours of thinking about absolutely nothing left for later this week.







1 comment:

julie said...

Lost in meditation?
It's 10:09pm on a Tuesday night. The dog, fish and toddler are all asleep. Strawberry rhubarb crisp is ready for dessert. The house tidy and quiet. But where's my husband? At the Perkins garden. Can he even see the weeds at this hour?